I am officially not an "upstate blogger" anymore
4/21/2008 08:50:00 PM | Author: baloghblog

Yes, it's my own damn fault for neglecting this blog and neglecting my hometown. But I have to admit that I was a little bummed not to see my blog listed in the Post-Standard's aggregated feed of local bloggers.

With my limited time on the computer (not doing school work, that is) I've tended to be more of an avid blog-reader than a blog-ger. There's been many things worth commenting on, if only I had a few more hours in the day. Their all old news now, and not worth revisiting.

A topic worth writing about is what transplants and college students think of Syracuse. I've had the pleasure of meeting a wide variety of people who, for whatever reason, have made their way to Syracuse to get their college degrees. I've made friends and acquaintances from far away places - Pakistan, Kenya, Jamaica, Dominica, India, Korea, France, and beyond. Yeah, they complain about the cold. Yes, the snow too. But it's hearing the things they do like about the area that is the thing that makes me happy to have grown up here. They rave about the scenery. They like our many local parks, lakes, waterfalls, and natural places. The endless (well, nearly endless) supply of fresh clean water. The inexpensive homes on comparatively large plots of land. The local schools. Access to brilliant minds and speakers.

They bring with them their strong ambition, and their work ethic. They take the bus, bike, or walk to school. They bring a piece of their home countries with them, meeting for tea, taking in foreign films, raving about how great their home town is. I find myself raving about Syracuse too. I want to sell them on living here.

I want to add their cosmopolitan and world-traveled voices to Syracuse. I want their enthusiasm and zeal to wear off on other Syracusans. I want my children to have wonderful conversations about foreign lands, and other ways of life. I want them to appreciate the wonderful gift of abundant fresh water, by speaking to someone who grew up with little of it. I want them to know that Islamabad is not just a place on a map, or a news item, but a real place where a chain-smoking, tea-slugging, dry-humored Fulbright Scholar comes from.

Mostly, I just want my friends to stick around for a little longer.

Its been an amazing experience going back to school. I've learned a lot about the world, and a bit about a corner of the city that I never really frequented other than basketball games. I've also learned a lot about myself, and my hometown, in the process.

damn, it feels good to write again...
|
This entry was posted on 4/21/2008 08:50:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On 12:55 AM , Brian Cubbison said...

Excellent post, Steve. Keep writing and we could get you hooked up with the Upstate Blogs Network.

 
On 11:39 PM , NYCO said...

It's good to read a post here again. Hopefully you'll have more time to write about what you've learned "off to school"...

 
On 7:44 PM , Livin Natural said...

I'm just getting around to reading this post and thanks for it.
We are going to be transplants to Syracuse from Kansas City in less than a month. This gives me great hope of moving to a city we might actually enjoy!