Ode to a Tree
4/11/2007 07:15:00 AM | Author: baloghblog


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-- Joyce Kilmer

This is my big backyard tree, which as of next week will be no more. I imagine it will be campfire wood for local campers. I hate to see such a big tree get cut down, but in this case it is old and 1/2 of it is sick, and it is smack dab in the middle of our back yard. I knew it was eventually going to need to be cut down the day we bought the house.

So I figured, hell, this is my blog, and if I want to have a tribute to a big tree. I can do it.
|
This entry was posted on 4/11/2007 07:15:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On 9:31 AM , BITUINGMARIKIT said...

I was searching for this poem or song which I learned when I was a little girl and I chanced on your blog. What an incidence...that is one of my nicknames.

Balougs
http://balougsbluesblogs.blogspot.com

 
On 2:47 PM , Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute. When we recently built our new home, there was the most beautiful old oak tree right in the middle of the lot. Enormous and stately. As we could not build the house around the tree, we had to cut it down. It broke our hearts.

Your tribute is perfect!

 
On 8:36 AM , Anonymous said...

I wore a mossy oak T-shirt to work today in honor of this poem.

TheSev

 
On 7:46 PM , Anonymous said...

Long time ago I red the "twin" of this poem.

I think that I shall never see
a boy who quite appeals to me.
A boy who doesn't always wear
a slab of grease upon his hair.
A boy who tucks his shirt tails in
and doesn't have a silly grin.
But boys are loved by fools like me
cuz who on earth would love a tree?

 
On 1:12 AM , Bessie said...

As long as you undertake to plant two or more new trees where it unlikely to EVER be in in somebody's way!

 
On 3:31 AM , Anonymous said...

That is a very nice poem. I got to save that one.
Hope you did something with the wood of the tree. And if you wanted to make up for cutting down the tree you can always plant some more trees somewhere else so you can enjoy all their benefits.
An Arborist