Garlic is easy
4/25/2007 08:21:00 AM | Author: baloghblog
While perusing the farmer's market last fall, and buying some garlic bulbs from a nice farmer and his wife I noticed berry containers filled with less than perfect garlic bulbs (a quart of them) for $1. I asked what they were, and he said "they're seed garlic" and handed me a wrinkled photocopy of planting and growing instructions. So I plunked down my dollar, and took home my garlic "seeds". I put them in the ground in an area that we are transforming after the installation of a patios, figuring if the grass seed wouldn't take that late in the season, I might as well put it to use. Here's what has been coming up this spring - 21 garlic plants.



I plan on mulching them this afternoon, to prevent further "erosion" from the hill. I read up on harvesting them, and it looks like by mid July I should be ready to dig them up. When planting garlic, think of them like a tasty tulip. Drop them in in the fall (right side up!) and by summer you'll be enjoying them.
|
This entry was posted on 4/25/2007 08:21:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: