DIY compost bin
10/14/2006 05:44:00 PM | Author: baloghblog

In the spirit of this newly announced competition, I put together a larger compost bin to collect our (and yes, possibly our neighbor's) leaves this fall. This will supplement our smaller secure bin that we use for kitchen scraps - It keeps the skunks out.

compost.gifskunk.jpg

Killing two birds with one stone, I got rid of a good portion of my "reclaimed wood pile" (that was not Mrs. B's favorite), and built myself a fine compost bin.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so without further ado:

compost1.gif

(beginning of the frame)

compost2.gif

(one side completed)

compost3.gif

(partially complete)

compost4.gif

(done!)

compost5.gif

(removable front slat)

compost6.gif

(in situ)

compost7.gif

Blending in to the fall landscape... and ready for the leaves.

The 2x4 posts were 4' in length, and the slat boards were reclaimed pine wall boards reclaimed from our basement. The final box size was 3'6" x 3'6" x 3'6" (approx).

|
This entry was posted on 10/14/2006 05:44:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

On 9:47 PM , fatguyonalittlebike said...

That's a nice looking compost bin.

 
On 10:45 PM , BurdockBoy said...

Man, I wish I had a secure compost. All I have is an old rustic one I put together from scraps and the skunks are out there quite often. Our dogs only have gotten one good spray, but I'm sure there will be more.

 
On 1:15 PM , Mme Siouxie said...

Enjoying reading your site... off to check out le groovy green!