Bush and Co. may have step over the proverbial line
12/18/2005 08:47:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
I used to have a quote on my sidebar from Ben Franklin, that I now see repeated often in the blogosphere:
They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
The arguement from the administration sounds so blatantly weak to me that I can't even stand it. We have to spy (while disregarding your freedoms protected by the constitution) on Americans to protect Americans. There are so many legal ways that this could have been done. Many others have written much more eloquently than I can on this issue. Go read Eschaton or DailyKos, or watch some clips on Crooks and Liars.

I think that this one isn't going to slide. I could give two shits what Bush is going to say on Iraq tonight. All I want to know is why he thinks that he is above the constitution. I think that others feel the same way. It is time for congress to start doing its job, and provide some oversight of the executive branch.

The American people deserve hearings on this issue, and deserve an public explanation in front of congress.

UPDATE: Go read Americablog, he sums up exactly what I am feeling.
|
This entry was posted on 12/18/2005 08:47:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: