Eating local - $10 a week can make a difference
11/17/2005 10:11:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
I found another upstate blog Rural Life 2.0, through another blog I stumbled across on sustainability/local food in Syracuse and Central NY: Cookin in the Cuse. Here that NYCO, some more CNY blogs have been discovered. (I knew there had to be more of us out there...)

They both draw attention to a challenge from Food Routes to pledge to spend $10 per week on locally produced food.
When you purchase local food, you'll get a wealth of benefits. You'll get exceptional taste and freshness, strengthen your local economy, support family farms, safeguard your family's health, and protect the environment.

[snip]

Remember, every little bit helps:

A recent study in Maine shows that shifting just 1% of consumer expenditures to direct purchasing of local food products would increase farmers' income by 5%. Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA) estimates that by encouraging Maine residents to spend just $10/week on local food, $100,000,000 will be invested back into farmers' pockets and the Maine economy each growing season.

Think how many local communities would benefit if everyone in the U.S. spent just $10 a week on local food.

There are many farms locally that sell directly to the consumer. Don't know of one near you? Go to the Farmer's market on Saturday's in Syracuse or find one in your community.

Personal anecdote time:
Due to a recent stomach ailment, I have decided to shift my focus from the greening of my home to the greening of my stomach for the next several weeks. I have been perusing organic/health food stores, such as the Syracuse Real Food Co-op (great website and blog too). I purchased some fair trade coffee there, as well as fresh organic garlic and lemons for a roasted lemon-garlic chicken with rosemary springs from my better half's plant. The people working there were very nice and I highly recommend it. Discounts are available to those who join the co-op and work a few hours a month.

I also shopped the surprisingly extensive organic section of Wegman's grocery. I had seen the pricy organic fruits, veggies, and herbs in the vegetable section, but never ventured down the aisles filled with most anything natural or organic that you could wish for. Wegman's and myself don't always get along (I never did hear back from them), but I have to admit that I was very pleased at the variety and selection of the organic and natural foods stocked.

I will be attempting to eat primarily organic food over the next 3 weeks, which will be a big change to my diet. I know that this may be old news to many of you, who eat much more "green" than I have been... I will post and let you know of my adventures. I will say that already I have been leaning - GASP - towards a more veggie and grain based diet. (Yes I know I just talked about roasted chicken!) This will be more an adventure than putting those windows in!

p.s. it is the first real snow of the season tonight.
|
This entry was posted on 11/17/2005 10:11:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

On 11:36 PM , LuceLu said...

If you discover that you still like to eat meats, try Sweet Grass Farm. I bought some of their stuff last weekend at the Farmer's Market. They raise and sell grass fed livestock and poultry and do not treat their animals with antibiotics or hormones. Their prices aren't bad. Check out their website: www.meadowraisedmeats.com

They are local-- Vernon, NY.

They also sell eggs (free range) and sheep yogurt (yum-I bought some of that).

 
On 2:29 AM , Siel said...

I also wonder if you have a local organic produce delivery service? I live in LA, and we have several -- I use ParadiseO -- that delivers yummy local organic produce to your door :)

 
On 7:48 AM , baloghblog said...

I buy my organic eggs off a small farm in West Monroe, NY which is up where I work. What a difference! I didn't know there would be such a better taste (and bigger yolk) from a farm fresh egg.

I will have to check out the Sweet Grass Farm at the market this weekend. Don't fret there is no way this boy is going veggie...

 
On 9:43 AM , Roger, Gone Green said...

Eating organic is becoming shockingly easy. Hell, the even have organic "Pop Tarts" -- er, Toaster Pastries. Don't know if they are that national yet, but a small chain here called Trader Joe's carries lots of organic and no-preservative foods. And as you have discovered, the Supermarkets are carrying more and more and it is less and less super-pricey.

One negative: as organic establishes a market, some big agri-business practices begin to take over: Organic food that is shipped thousands of miles.

Frankly, I'll take organic and deal with the shipping. Lesser of two, as I see it . . .

 
On 1:54 PM , Hollis said...

There is -- fortunately -- a growing number of organic producers in Central New York. One of my faves is Green Rabbit Farm near Hamilton. They had microgreens to die for and bake the best artisanal bread in the region. They are always at the Hamilton Farmners' Market in season. Several restaurants use their greens as well. Craftsman Inn in Fayetteville, I believe, is one of them. Thrilled you have joined the chorus of buying local food. It is the best way to the support the local economy, do right by the earth and is a great way to feed your family. Keep up the great work!

 
On 10:46 PM , Jennifer said...

How absolutely wonderful to discover your blog! I can't wait until tomorrow night to sit down with a cup of tea and really read through it--it is great to find others who are seeking to live sustainably in Syracuse. And you like the Smiths too! Ah--you've made my day!