Katrina thoughts (UPDATED)
9/02/2005 07:19:00 AM | Author: baloghblog
I just can't get the damn thoughts out of my head. They are too big to wrap my brain around.

  • What are all these people going to do for work?
  • For shelter?
  • In a week?
  • In a month?
  • In 6 months?
  • Are they ever going to get to go home and collect any remaining belongings?
  • How will they find their loved ones?
  • How will any building remain structurally sound after soaking in sewage and oil water for 6-8 weeks? Will they just bulldoze entire neighborhoods?
  • Where will the rebuilding money come from? (Bush will certainly not reinstate the taxes that he cut. And the Iraq War isn't going away either.)
  • What kind of day to day life is it living in the SuperAstrodome?
  • What about all of the smaller communities that aren't making the news every hour?
  • What jobs will be there to return to?
  • How will they control the lawlessness? Shoot to kill orders? (I see it coming soon)
  • How will they distribute money to the victims?
  • etc........
I have some other thoughts in my head, that I had planned on posting about: more Jake Roberts for mayor info, and insight; local gas prices (on one hand, how can I complain about that? But on the other, how can I not complain when I travel everyday to make a living.)

We will be making a donation this week on payday. Maybe then I will feel like I have contributed something to the effort. Until then, I guess everytime I see the images on the news, I will have to hold back the urge to go down there and help.

UPDATE:
Gov gives authorization to shoot, kill hurricane survivor 'hoodlums' - RAWSTORY

Made our donation to Red Cross.

Michael Moore writes a letter.

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Houston Stadium "full" after accepting only half of refugees from Superdome. Texans stadium to be filled next.
|
This entry was posted on 9/02/2005 07:19:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

On 10:42 PM , NYCO said...

I think for the first time in my life, I have turned away from the TV and looked, really looked at my worn old Cape Cod house and rooms and thought, "I live in a mansion." Compared to those people (even before the storm), yes I do. And I never have to worry about floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, etc.

 
On 10:01 AM , Ianqui said...

I'm equally obsessed with this topic. What is it going to be like to live in the Astrodome for a month? With no real showers, no private space at all, no real entertainment (except maybe your neighbors...) Will their stuff be stolen? I can't fathom this. It's unbelievable.

 
On 10:53 AM , jk said...

I can't get my brain about around this: the world population increases by 200,000 people every day.

 
On 11:29 AM , Liz Logan said...

Yeah I am finding it hard to sleep at night, thinking about the people still trapped on roofs or in apartments--how are they sleeping? Its awful.

 
On 1:20 PM , jo-fo said...

Yeah, I can see Bush giving the "shoot to kill" order without too much conscience getting in the way. He's had his finger itching to push the martial law button ever since 9/11.

 
On 2:41 AM , peaknik said...

I can't get over this disaster, either. I'm too paralyzed right now to really post anything on my own blog right now. I'm just speechless.

 
On 9:06 AM , peakguy said...

I feel the same way peaknik, I'm almost too staggered and overwhelmed to completely express myself on my own blog. The MSM has not even touched on the questions Baloghblog is asking here, although they are really giving it to every governmental official they have get in front of a camera. Hmmm, remember all those tax cuts? What did people expect to get from their government?