Health Care Without Harm is an international coalition of hospitals and health care systems, medical professionals, community groups, health-affected constituencies, labor unions, environmental and environmental health organizations and religious groups. Find out how to JOIN THE CAMPAIGN.
To transform the health care industry worldwide, without compromising patient safety or care, so that it is ecologically sustainable and no longer a source of harm to public health and the environment.
1. To work with a wide range of constituencies for an ecologically sustainable health care system;
2. To promote policies, practices and laws that eliminate incineration of medical waste, minimize the amount and toxicity of all waste generated, and promote the use of safer materials and treatment practices;
3. To phase out the use of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) plastics and persistent toxic chemicals in health care and to build momentum for a broader PVC phase out campaign;
4. To phase out the use of mercury in all aspects of the health care industry;
5. To develop health-based standards for medical waste management and to recognize and implement the public’s right to know about chemical use in the health care industry;
6. To develop just siting and transportation guidelines that conform to the principles of environmental justice: No communities should be poisoned by medical waste treatment and disposal;
7. To develop an effective collaboration and communication structure among campaign allies.