Pushed back up to the top (from July) - Observation
8/26/2005 07:02:00 AM | Author: baloghblog
Original here.

Why it was pushed up? Gas Station Workers Face Angry Customers (via Drudge)

My wife and I stopped at a gas station off of Rte 81 in Pennsylvania on the way home from a weekend trip. Gas was at a low price of $2.19 there. ($2.41 in my hometown) There was an unbelievable line of cars waiting to get to the pumps and a chaotic scene once we got to pump area. There was no order to the line, b/c of a tight turning radius, and several large SUV's and V8 trucks positioning themselves. People we're getting frustrated quickly, and we could feel a sense of unease quickly come over us. We got our gas and got out unscathed, but the line had grown considerably by the time we left.

I was a twinkle in my father's eye during the oil shortage in the early 70's, so I have no history with the long lines that formed during the shortage. I have to believe though, with the "road rage" that is rampant now, there would quickly become a phrase "gas station rage" that would enter the country's vocabulary.

It was easy to see how tempers were rising today - even with ample gasoline available at a "cheap price". I can't imagine a scene with even more stressed out people paying $5+/gallon, with limited supply.

I think that I have been a peak oil optimist, preferring to live in a sort of denial, thinking utopian thoughts about a future without oil - surviving on our "skills", and our preparation, adapting to a new way of life. The glimpse of the future that I got today was ugly, with nothing utopian about it.
|
This entry was posted on 8/26/2005 07:02:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 7:54 PM , Kate West said...

I was a small child during the early 70s and the oil shortage, so I barely remember hearing my parents talking about it. I think, like you, I've been in denial until lately. I think it is going to get ugly, unfortunately, because so many people out there who depend on the popular media are going to be pissed that they didn't start hearing about this before now and that the government didn't do anything to prepare or get citizens to prepare, even knowing it was coming.