First Attempt at Tomato (Marinara) Sauce from the garden
8/21/2005 05:31:00 PM | Author: baloghblog

Peeling the tomatoes


Chopping garlic (yes I have a Miracle blade set, and yes it does kick ass)


Crushing tomatoes in with garlic, onion, and olive oil that had been sauteed.


Meatballs and simmering sauce


Marinara sauce 3 hours from finish with fresh basil, meatballs, and salt, pepper added to taste (finished in the crock pot)

All the tomatoes came from my small garden, and were of the Roma variety. Next time we'll quarter the tomatoes before crushing to allow some juice to escape - it took a while for the sauce to thicken. Also we'll be able to remove many of the seeds. Looks, and smells, delicious! Can't wait to try it!
|
This entry was posted on 8/21/2005 05:31:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On 10:11 PM , peaknik said...

Looks really good! I love your pictures! This week I'm going to try making some jalapeno poppers and maybe something with some zucchini. Both from the garden!

Have any ideas for cherry tomatoes except for in salads?....I have tons of these!

 
On 12:10 AM , baloghblog said...

that was our problem last year, too many cherry tomatoes. My idea would be to try and trade them with someone else that has a garden for a different veggie.

I have been told that you could use them in sauce too, but seems like too much peeling to me. Maybe they'd just pop out of the skin if you blanched them and then into cold water like I did.

Made zucchini bread earlier this year, good stuff! Otherwise this recipe is a winner:

Green and yellow squash (one each), block of mozzarella cheese, bottle of italian dressing. a couple (melted) tablespoons of butter. 10 or so Ritz crackers.

In a casserole mixed 1/4" slices of squash, cubed mozz cheese and mix with italian dressing until coated. cover with crumbled Ritz crackers and drizzle butter on top of thick coat of Ritz. Bake in oven at 350 until bubbling (30 mins?) Cool and serve as a side dish. Good stuff!


There are no exact measurements, you'll have to play around to find the amount of cheese, dressing and crackers that is right for you. Keep the slices uniform for even cooking and best result.

 
On 12:16 AM , peaknik said...

Oh thanks!

Maybe I can use 2 green zucchini instead of one each color? Maybe it's just for color purposes? I don't have any yellow zucchini.

It looks like the rest I could handle!

I thought the same as you about blanching them--might be alot of trouble--more skin than tomato!

Keep up the good work. Love your blog. Looks like you're getting some good publicity.

 
On 6:48 PM , Kate West said...

It looks scrumptious!! It's making me hungry and now I'm going to have to go eat something. :-)