A Pact (circa 1997)
7/24/2005 05:43:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
A Pact...

(prefaced)
  • I know that I have debts to society which must be paid.
  • I know that I must work hard to gain my place in life.
  • I know that there are others that depend on me and that there will be sacrifices to be made.
  • I know that hours must be put in, and some days time will be short.
  • I realize that there will be transitions in my life where things may not seem very clear and there will be many paths leading from my door.
  • I realize that temptation will be an ever-present force to be dealt with, and there will always be an easier way out.
  • I know that the mind is not always clear, and it takes a few skinned knees to learn how to ride a bike.
  • I know that an excuse comes more readily to the mind than does fact.
  • For me, perfection is not the goal, only genuine happiness.
  • I know that I am not perfect, and that imperfections are part of who I am as much as my strong points are.
  • I know that life is a continuum of highs and lows, and that for every high point reached, an equivalent low will take place.
  • I do not seek a middle ground without these fluctuations, for what would life be without happiness and tears- it would be death.
  • I know that there are forces shaping my life that I have no control over, and I know that it is impossible to control my destiny.
  • However, fate does not run my life and make my decisions for me.
  • I am the equal and opposite of fate.
  • My decisions carry the same strength and same level of consequence as those decisions that are predetermined or that are made for me.
(stated)
Therefore, I promise to make those decisions count. I promise to make memories that will last the day, the week, the year, the lifetime. I promise to be aware and to see all of the experiences that are happening, and to make things count, not just let them pass me by.

I promise to give myself some time each day, be it a fleeting moment to hours on end, so that at the end of the day I can say to myself, "look what I did..." And at the end of the week I can say, "look at the things that I did." And at the end of the year I can say, "look at the many, many things that I have done..." And at the end of a lifetime, I can just sit and smile.

(aside: that's it. that's the pact. Simple yet life fulfilling.)

written in college. 1997. Copied from a printed email. Worth sharing with all.
|
This entry was posted on 7/24/2005 05:43:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: