Next Project: Next Step
6/07/2005 08:18:00 PM | Author: baloghblog

I posted earlier that I would be delving into ideas for "collective" community activism and solutions. I have been chewing it over for the last week or so, and have been brainstorming and researching into local efforts along the same lines. I didn't want to duplicate the work of others. My goals were: 1) to provide both a place that locals in the Central NY area could come to for information on sustainability and peak oil, 2) set an example for others to follow on a more broad scale, 3) share what others are doing to better their communities across this nation. (Sustainablog is doing a good job of this for the St. Louis area.)

I also want to challenge local citizens to get involved in these issues, and offer some challenges to people, maybe on a weekly or monthly basis. Something tangible that others could do to get involved in their community, and help shape public policy. Letter writing campaigns; op-ed pieces; meet your neighbor; tell one person about "topic A", etc.

My personal challenge will be to raise the awareness of my blog, to practice what I preach, and to stay focused on writing for the long haul. I love my community, and want only the best for the Upstate NY. I know that I don't have all that it takes, so in the future I hope to have local people writing in their own suggestions, ideas, and thoughts, and posting them to this blog as well. Hopefully friends and acquaintances will be up to the task as well.

Other goals that I pursuing include: adding a sustainability section to this blog, or creating a sister site (I am not that talented with blogger) listing the following info-

  • Community groups
  • Co-ops
  • Gardening info and tips
  • Carpooling
  • Public transportation
  • Farmer’s Markets
  • Supporting Local vs. Global businesses
  • Energy efficiency in the home
  • Green building and energy options
  • State parks
|
This entry was posted on 6/07/2005 08:18:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 1:10 PM , aimanath said...

We've thought about ordering produce from www.grindstonefarm.com
organic, locally grown and delivered to your door.

located in Pulaski