challenge of the week #1
6/07/2005 08:49:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
Buy a single fluorescent lightbulb and put in the light that you use the most or leave on the longest in your house.

CFL bulbs also provide a benefit to the environment based on their energy savings over a regular incandescent light bulb. According to the U.S. government's Energy Star website, if every household in the United States replaced just one incandescent bulb with a CFL bulb, it would have an environmental impact equivalent to removing one million cars from the American roads. [1]

This is this week's challenge. Check back soon for next week's.

(sub challenge: tell one person about this blog)
|
This entry was posted on 6/07/2005 08:49:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 comments:

On 9:17 PM , RomeHater said...

I added you to my blog. I see sustainabilty from a point of national sovereignty, but I definitely like the idea of living locally, especially if it is a personal choice.

 
On 11:03 PM , Ianqui said...

It's funny--Super G and I were just talking about replacing our bulbs with flourescents. So yeah, we'll probably go ahead and do it very soon!

 
On 8:20 AM , baloghblog said...

I will be posting my completion of the challenge, and also I hope to post evidence that I have convinced (at least) one other person to do the same. Let me know if you do and I will post it.

 
On 11:45 PM , Liz Logan said...

I'll join the challenge and invite my readers to do the same!

 
On 2:20 PM , NYCO said...

This is cool. I'll try to keep up with these challenges.

 
On 12:08 PM , Yagagakhee said...

Props, I'm doing the same.

 
On 3:48 PM , karlof1 said...

I've done this twice--first at our former home in San Jose during the so-called energy crisis of 2000-2001, which cut our electric bill by 75%--and installed them in every fixture possible in our new home. Since we cannot change our own home, we are going to help others by providing CF bulbs to agencies that help the poor. I'm also considering setting up a table at our local farmer's market to give away CF bulbs along with a Peak Oil/energy related flyer. I look at both tacts as investments providing different and in my view better returns than the norm.

 
On 8:42 AM , Big Gav said...

Good idea - I've repeated the challenge on my blog.

 
On 1:10 AM , Mikhail Capone said...

We already have over 20 CFL in our house, so I guess I don't have to take your challenge.

I strongly encourage others to take it, and buy more than one CFL, though.