busy week this week
6/14/2005 10:56:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
Have a super busy schedule at work, and am preparing to have a surgery this weekend. Hope to post more tomorrow. (aside: by "preparing", I mean hooking up a new wireless router and installing a wireless PC card in my old laptop, so I can still check up on things when I am laid up. It only took me about 3 hours to get Win 98 SE recognize the damn PC card, but I freaking did it!)

I have two ideas floating around in my head. The first (and a preview of my next essay) is the approaching disconnect between a decreasing ability to physically travel places due to expensive oil, but a continuing increase in the ability to communicate with people around the world in real time. What will be the social and political ramifications of this? Will the internet or future forms of it satisfy our wanderlust, or will it only stoke an unattainable standard that only the extremely wealthy will be able to participate in.

The second is going to be my second "Challenge of the Week", so check back soon for that. It will be more directly related to oil consumption than the last challenge, and will require a fair amount of patience.

Lastly I am heading to the library and video store on Thursday night, any suggestions for a weekend full of reading and zoning out on pills? Speaking of zoning out on pills... Come on, no reaction? Not a sigh of relief? OK, OK, I know, let's keep it on topic here!
|
This entry was posted on 6/14/2005 10:56:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On 11:27 PM , Jeff McIntire-Strasburg said...

Hope the surgery goes well, Steve. I'm a mystery junkie and have gone on a Carl Hiaasen binge lately. Janet Evanovich is another one that's great just for fun reading...

 
On 1:30 PM , Liz Logan said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery!