The Oil Drum Revisited
4/26/2005 03:34:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
Profgoose in a reply to my comment:

The Monday Night Conversation
Every once in a while, it is good to sit back and review reader comments and emails...Monday evenings, we'll try to pick a couple of threads/ideas that are going through our comment/email boxes and expound on them.

The sentiment I want to address tonight has come from a two or three emailers as well as a commenter a couple of posts back...and can best be summarized as:

"How about having some guest bloggers, one's that can talk about steps to move us forward from where we are now. There must be some very brilliant people out there that are involved in urban planning & renewable resources, and and other grass roots people out there that are pushing for more public transportation, sustainable development, etc.
You research is great, and your site deserves much more exposure. But somedays my glass is half full, and I'd like to hear some positive news. Or at least some positive ideas... Shit, I am thinking about bringing kids into this world soon."
-http://baloghblog.blogspot.com
His response:

Baloghblog:

Part of the long-term plan is to get some other bloggers on here to talk about energy alternatives and the many other issues involved with peak oil. We're working on that as we speak, actually.

However, I want you to remember that this is a tough and real topic that we must discuss and think through. Unfortunately, it's going to be a downer a lot of the time because of the facts. We try to add levity now and again, really...but it ain't all that easy.

The ideas are complex, the actors multiple and powerful, the ramifications so severe, that I have to be honest, some days, I just don't know if I can talk about this anymore. In fact, I remember the feeling you're experiencing quite well. Then I decided I had to try to tell people about it, and then I ran into HO, and hence this blog.

The other thing to remember is that public transportation, sustainable development, and all the things we very much advocate, are only going to be helpful if they are accomplished QUICKLY and enacted in a coordinated manner BEFORE our resources run out. If we wait too long to use what we have to build the bridge to non-petroleum based economy, then we're pretty fucking stupid.

(See, unfortunately, it's no fun realizing your future is likely fucked...or at least going to be very different.)

And that's exactly the case, unless we get all of the following (and rather quickly):

1. A few dozen technological breakthroughs,
2. Unprecedented political will and bipartisan cooperation,
3. Tremendous international collaboration,
4. Massive amounts of investment capital...

Click here to read the rest of his post.

Matt Savinar has links to some good tips to help us prepare (no hint of preventing this one I guess.)

This is a great site (The Path Project) that Matt links to, that aims to help make us a little more self-sufficient.

The bloggers at The Oil Drum are well articulated, and back up their statements with a lot of research. I prefer it in small doses to let it sink in, after initially delving into it. I hope to continue to implement ways that I can be more self sufficient, and gain knowledge that I can pass along to my children. They are the ones that will have to be dealing with the worst of it.
I think that the one thing that most of us could do short term is to reduce our debt burden. I know that that is the financial way that we are preparing to start. The second is to look at ways to make our home more energy efficient. Not only to conserve energy for the good of society, but also to help ease the coming utility bills that could be 2-3 times as high in the coming years. The third way that I am begining to prepare for this is to start pushing local politicians to look again at ways to boost public transportation and ridership by making it more convenient and accessible.

To every one that visits my blog, you definitely owe it to yourself to head on over to The Oil Drum
|
This entry was posted on 4/26/2005 03:34:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: