The Long Emergency
4/01/2005 01:54:00 PM | Author: baloghblog
This is an eye-opening and somewhat chilling article from Rolling Stone writer


My friend Kara's thoughts from the West Coast, which I echo are below. I couldn't have put it better.

I however plan on learning to make really good or really potent wine. I will use this to barter for everything I need. (or to help me forget about my troubles...)

random thoughts here. i'm just freaked out.

phew. at least there's hope for the pacific northwest. some of you may be screwed. how's that for a "move to beautiful portland" pitch?

it would be easy to chalk this up to paranoia, liberal agendas, take your pick. this article illustrates how science has not only been ignored but twisted and forced to speak pseudo-truths about the very real oil crisis. at some point a cultural lobotomy was done, and we've been going along with a prozac-induced grin ever since. i'm terrified, personally, and thinking of my time spent in texas, i think it must be even worse. there's a level of realization in the northwest and northeast that seems nonexistent in the southeast and southwest. there is too great of a divide between those who have accepted that this dependence on oil has dominated our morning to night, our politics, our lifestyle of consumption. and then there are those who believe they're entitled to this. it is ours to take. it's there, isn't it? and unfortunately, the numbers are not in our favor. i'm afraid it will indeed take a complete cultural shutdown for every! one to finally believe we actually can destroy this planet. strength in numbers, and we humans have outnumbered ourselves and therefore overwhelmed mother earth. i would love to be overreacting, and maybe i am. i'd love to admit i'm wrong here. it just seems like common sense, though. it feels like we've overdone it.

i can only hope that the inevitable transition from an oil-dependent nation to the next great hopes (solar, hydro, wind, bio-diesel) doesn't lead to some orwellian/vonnegut-like existence where humanity is torn to shreds. i feel like a doomsayer. but i think of great civilizations of the past that seemingly just disappeared. gone like that. how does that happen? i used to wonder about the incans, easter island, macchu picchu, all of it. and i think maybe we've overstayed our welcome. "there was a period of several hundred years when the united states of america dominated the world........." to readers, that will sound incomprehensible, just as when the ottoman empire dominated sounds odd to us. that's if there are any history books not yet burned.

i look at my house now. it seems too big. i have too many things. i'm ready to head for the hills, but i don't think i could get a decent internet connection there.
in the meantime, i think i'll turn my living room into a hydroponic garden of potatoes and carrots. just in case.

i'm not ready to give up on solar, wind, or plant fuel options. both my home and the pub's electricity is solely provided by wind-powered sources. i give my veggie oil from the fryers to a bio-diesel co-op. i think that's a start, if a late one at that.
but better late than never, right?




I had to sit and look around at what Mrs. Baloghblog and I have for possessions, and the size of the home that I live in. How would I heat this thing if the gas wasn't flowing? What purchases would seem extravagant in the future if the economy takes a dive? It really makes you wonder what is important.

About the only thing that we do that is "environmental" is we compost in the summer, and we recycle. Otherwise, I drive about 150 miles a day average to see patients in a rural setting. (I imagine that I would con't to get reimbursement for my gas to be able to provide healthcare, but who knows...)

We have a small garden that can provide enough veggies to keep my "pet" hedgehog fat.

We live a mile away from the grocery store, so I guess we'd be in walking distance.

We have as much debt as the average household, but enough to make me worried if we weren't making good money.

I guess there is a million things you could stress about, thinking about what would happen in an extended gas shortage. I guess all you can do is start to make some changes now. I'll post again on this when I figure out exactly what those things might be.

All I have so far is that my wife and I will commute together if gas hits $2.50/gallon.

I am considering how to make our home more energy efficient, including updated windows, and insulation. (I don't think the sun shines enough in Syracuse to get solar panels, although we have had a record 5 sunny days in a row here.)


Any other ideas? Let me know.
|
This entry was posted on 4/01/2005 01:54:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: